Toxins Found in Our Bodies: Is This The Tip of the Iceberg?

Thu, Apr 29, 2010

Anderson Cooper of CNN adresses toxins in a section of “Planet in Peril”, a four hour documentary. To introduce the topic, Cooper recognizes we are all products of our environment, what we eat, drink and breath, shows up inside of us.

Doctors don’t like what they’re finding in adults and are even more alarmed seeing what’s in the children.

Cooper shares facts with us about the 287 Cancer causing chemicals that are in the average person’s body.

Not long ago scientists thought that the umbilical cord placenta shielded the blood – and the developing baby -from most chemicals and pollutants in the environment. But now we know that at this critical time of the babies development the umbilical cord caries not only the building blocks of life but also a steady stream of industrial chemicals, pollutants and pesticides that cross the placenta as readily as residues from cigarettes and alcohol.

We can discover what chemicals are inside the average American with a Body Burden Test, as Cooper took part in. 120cc of blood (almost a pint) was taken from him for scientists looked for traces of 250 industrial chemicals in his body, Cooper received the test results in two months.

Public health experts are only beginning to understand what harm low level chemical exposure can cause. Dr. Leo Tassande worries most about the kids, are currently in an epidemic of chronic disease with American children; rates of asthma, childhood cancers, birth defects, developmental disabilities, are all on the rise and they are increasingly being attributed to new chemicals that we’re all exposed to on a daily basis. I consider it an epidemic.”

The Holland family was tested about 3 years ago, their son Rowan was 18 months old. At that time he was the youngest child to be tested for chemical exposure. His sister, Michela was just 5 years old. When the results came in, they were shocked! The children’s exposure was 2, 3, and 4 times higher than their parents.

Cooper was tested for 246 synthetic chemicals and he tested positive for more than 100, including DDT a chemical that dates back to the 1970s. DDT is in his body now, and it’s figured he probably got it from a trip to Africa where some countries still use it to kill mosquitoes.

Phthalates (pronounced THAL-ates) are organic chemicals produced from oil and are the most commonly used plasticizers in the world. They are a family of chemical substances that have been in use for about 50 years, primarily to make polyvinyl chloride (PVC) soft and flexible.

Phthalates, plasticizers, are used in water bottles, personal care products; shampoo, make up (MBP), and medical devices. Although the various kinds of phthalates in use today have some structural similarity, each one is different in the way it performs.

PCBs used in electrical insulators in refrigerators and microwaves banned in the late ’70s. At that time, there was a major dump of PCBs into the Hudson River in New York. The PCBs were eaten by fish which were then eaten by people. The traces of the PCBs in blood can be seen in the blood of those who lived in New York at the time.

PBDEs a class of flame retardants used in foam cushions to rugs to mattresses to casings of electronics they were nearly 7 times the levels of his mom and dad he had 2-3 times the level of flame retardant in his body that has been found to cause thyroid dysfunction in lab rats.

PBDEs are neurotoxins which throw off normal brain functioning in lab animals. Could they be doing the same for children and adults?

No testing was done. The Environmental Protection Agency which is responsible for chemical regulation doesn’t require manufactures to test for the effects of new chemicals on human health before getting approved. The approval process can take as little as 90 days compared to the years it can take pharmaceutical companies to get approval for new drugs.

When Jack Jerad, president of the National Chemical Council was asked if phthalates could cause infertility, he answered, “Just because we find chemicals in the body doesn’t mean it causes disease.”

Some scientists disagree. Research shows that DNA is damaged when exposed to high level of phthalates.

Anderson Cooper said, “This looks like a lawsuit waiting to happen.”

What we know, is just the tip of the iceberg. Dr. Tassande said, “That is enough to actively and proactively intercede and prevent chemical exposure.”

Are the chemicals running through our bloodstreams dangerous? No one seems to know~ Is that good enough?

What do you think?

Are you wondering why so many people are getting sick? Is this a topic that you’ve even thought about?

Let me know~ leave a comment below!

, , , ,

30 Responses to “Toxins Found in Our Bodies: Is This The Tip of the Iceberg?”

1. Beverly Monical Says:

There are so many Free Radicles attacking us on a daily basis. Our atmosphere is full of toxins and our bodies are struggling to survive this toxic world. I believe that is part of the reason so many are getting sick. The other reason is the lack of nutrition we are putting in our bodies. Our foods are lacking and we must supplement.Many people believe that the $5 bottle of vitamins they bought means they are taking a supplement. WRONG! You are not buying quality supplements when you pay $5.To get a good supplement you have to pay more.”You get what you pay for” is very true when it comes to supplements.Synthetic supplements are pretty cheap and our bodies don’t recognize synthetic nutrition.Make wise choices about your One Body and your body will repay you by working optimally.
    .-= Beverly Monical´s last blog ..Interview With Perry Lawrence aka Ask Mr Video =-.

Thank you Beverly! I couldn’t agree with you more! We really are living in a toxic world! I’ve always believed that our bodies were created to heal themselves and given the proper nutrition and lifestyle it is possible!

2. Bruce Backman Says:

Linda…great post. I hope that you can reach a great number of people with this message. We have known for decades that these toxins and more affect the health of individuals. It is absurd, in my opinion, to think otherwise. We have seen so many people helped by helping their bodies “detox” from not only the toxic chemicals but heavy metals and a whole host of other things. These things create an environment in the body that creates imbalances, inflammation, sluggishness, an ability for pathogens to thrive and so much more.

It is very important that people realize these things and try to protect themselves as much as possible.

Thanks again!

3. David Geditz Says:

Hey Linda,

Great post and thanks for the research you do to inform everyone. I will be sharing your blog with others so they can be informed also.

I started a program only six days ago and detox was part of the program. Wow do I feel different. My wife and I both agreed that we feel better. It just isn’t better it seems like a 180 degree turn. Getting rid of the heavy metals and toxins in our system helps us to live life fuller.

Lots of people turn a deaf ear to findings like this. Out of site out of mind. Chemicals of any kind are big money not only by the people that make the chemicals, but also by sales and end users. I live in ag community and you can’t believe the dependency on chemicals and chemical fertilizers. And then think of the dependency of plastics in our society.

Mind blowing stats Linda. Thanks again!

Hey David!
      Thank you for visiting my blog! It’s good to hear from you! How have you been? I’m glad you are aware of all the toxins out there and are combatting them with a detox! It feels so good to feel good!!
      You should get a picture connected to your comments! Check it out here~ http://lindagraceonline.com/get-the-focus-on-you/ In case you don’t see this, I’ll send you an email with this information. Have a great day!

4. Susie Brodin Says:

So many of these possibilities should be treated as real, even without any evidence. I would include the use of microwave ovens and the very big topic of tiny dioxins.

For those that don’t know where to begin, an easy way to start for those that may be lazy is wheat bran. One or two tablespoons mixed with warm water and quickly gulped will do much. For balance, include oat bran in an equal amount as it is similar in action to Metamucil. The wheat bran is a very talented absorber of heavy metals.

A good, safe program should require 2 or 3 months of dedication. Of course, why embark on such a worthy cause without first making permanent changes to your eating and living style. For instance, there is much danger in what you breathe, and as much as 30% of what lies upon your skin – be it lotion or liquid – is directly absorbed into your blood from your skin.

Our job is not only to rid ourselves of accumulated chemicals, but the large body parasites in our bowels and what is going to feel like tons of built up mucus and wheat gluten. Over time, the contents of your toilet will give you nightmares as ‘ropes’ of filth and recently dead parasites are visible.

In a word, if you have ever lived outside the upper Himalayans for any length of time, you, too, are a ripe candidate for detoxification. But again, be safe, and don’t try to finish it in a two week vacation.

Susie~
      You are so right about the toxin in our envirnoment!! I’m not hip on putting capture pages as your website address, but since I’m the only one who can see it, and you added such value to this post, I’ll let it fly!
      I noticed you don’t have a Gravatar! I created a post to show you how to get this simple and free account! Check this out here: http://lindagraceonline.com/get-the-focus-on-you/ When people can see your face they have a tendency to trust you more and turn into customers more quickly!

5. Tom@mood stabilizers Says:

A very important message that needs to be heard .Thanks Linda i hope this gets out to more people , i have just sent this post out on Twitter

Tom

6. Tara @ Testosterone Treatment Says:

This is a really informative post, Linda, thank you for sharing it! It’s so important that we as human beings make a conscious effort to care for our bodies and I think that knowing about all of these toxins and trying to figure out how to combat them is half the battle.

Tara,
      The more I learn the more I can see the consequences of our industrialized life-style! And yet I still use products that are creating toxins! It’s a difficult transition!

7. Happy Says:

The other reason is the lack of nutrition we are putting in our bodies. Our foods are lacking and we must supplement.Many people believe that the $5 bottle of vitamins they bought means they are taking a supplement. WRONG! For those that are on the edge, or haven’t made the decision, I would encourage looking before leaping into detoxification. Many have been hurt from extreme measures. Remember, you must safely usher out these substances. Too fast, and they may dump themselves into other still more vulnerable areas of the body.

8. Rosie @ Dentistry 90048 Says:

Wow – so interesting that the old adage “You are what you eat” is actually somewhat true! I need to be a lot more careful about the things I put into my body sometimes… I don’t think I’m the worst eater in the world but I’m definitely not the best!!

@}—-Rosie

9. medical billing Says:

Most vegetables contain nutrients that help eliminate toxins eg free radicals. Try something like homemade vegetable soup which contains a variety of veg. Don’t cook them away to nothing or you’ll lose all the nutrients.

My Blog
    Ford Richard
    medical billing
    medical billing recently posted..Medical Billing And Coding Jobs: See Your Career Grow!My Profile

10. Olivia@Get Group Travel Says:

I agree with what you eat and drink will show what is inside us. And yes if you eat foods that is harmful in our body then our organ inside us will look sick. And is something that we should know.

11. sell my gold Says:

I genuinely liked reading through your post!. Quality material. I might advise you to come up with blogposts even more often. By doing this, having this kind of a worthy website I think you will probably rank higher in the search engines.

Thanks a lot for sharing us about this update. Hope you will not get tired on making posts as informative as this.

12. Lana @ Rug Cleaning Los Angeles Says:

This is alarming! Now that we know the problem, what is the solution?

Lana,
      ‘No Harm’ products are made but they are more expensive and harder to come by! Trivani.com sells lotions, shampoos, soaps, hair spray and deodorant. Melaleuca and I think Arbonne all sell No harm products. You can also find products in health food stores.

13. Jim Peters Says:

Hey There Lindagraceonline,
    Cool Post, I want to cleanse my body of toxins and speed up my metabolism if possible. I am looking to loose some weight, but in a healthy way and thought a cleanse would be a good start. Im not interested in nasty things like lemons or cyenne pepper. does anyone know some good toxin body cleanses?
    BTW great blogpost

14. Mark Says:

Dear Lindagraceonline,
    Neat Post, Many people have parasites of one sort or another living in their bowels.  These awful creatures latch on the gastrointestinal tract. True to their name, they feed off from the nutrients that are meant for the host — in this case the person.  Worse, some parasites can cause symptoms of illness like headaches and loss of appetite.  The feces in the colon also contain undigested materials including toxins in food.  Leaving them inside might allow more time for the body to absorb these detrimental substances. If you feel you have these unwanted conditions, Colon cleansing may be what you need!
    BTW great blogpost
    Mark

15. mark @ How To Cook in Oven Says:

G’Day! Lindagraceonline,
    I just stumbled across this and, “Toxins in food…HOW is that possible?”…I asked the same question and here’s what I found.
    Wishes
    Mark

16. Grace Sevilly@Sleep dentistry Says:

Awareness I think would be the first step to protect yourself from all these toxins. Having the right information and the courage to change your lifestyle will surely lead you to a healthier YOU.

17. review Says:

Thanks again!

As you can see, I couldn’t agree with you more, and yet I’m still a common American, using the deodorant and hair supplies that make me look and smell the best…When will I learn?!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by BeverlyMonical, Darlene Davis. Darlene Davis said: Toxins Found in Our Bodies: Is This The Tip of the Iceberg?: Anderson Cooper of CNN adresses toxins in a section o… http://bit.ly/9PwoLu [...]

2. [...] Read the complete article: Toxins Found in Our Bodies: Is This The Tip of the Iceberg? [...]