Shakira ~ Chosen for South African World Cup Anthem

Sat, Jun 12, 2010

Ann McDonald, my new FB friend, posted this wonderful World Cup music video on FaceBook. Ann lives in Toronto, Canada and has created a blog about fun and inexpensive things to do in Toronto. Ann focuses on travel, music, and Art. I fell in love with Shakira’s video the first time I heard it. Shakira is giving messages like you™ve got it all, believe it, and it’s your time to shine, I also heard her singing “This is your moment, no hesitations. And I wanted to listen again!

I immediately wanted to post this music video! I googled it for more information! The Hindustan Times posted an article about Waka Waka “This Time for Africa” – Shakira – South Africa 2010. The times said that “Even before Shakira bon-bonned her way into the opening night celebrations at the Oregon Stadium in Soweto on Friday evening, World Cup watchers were divided by whether the Colombian singer-performer was the right choice as singer for the 2010 South Africa World Cup anthem.

Critical Reviews:

Two types of critics, Hindustan Times said, have found Waka Waka unsavory. One, the Anglophonic sillies who, just because they have no clue what “Waka Waka and Tsamina mina” zangalewa mean, think Shakira’s singing nonsense words. In reality Waka waka is a Zulu exhortation that roughly translates to “Do it!” and “Tsamina mina” is roughly  “come come”.  These words are encouraging and motivational to me!

The other “politically correct” group of critics, are upset about the words. They find the lyrics, “You’re a good soldier/Choosing your battles/ Pick yourself up/And dust yourself off/ Get back in the saddle, too ‘war-mongering’ rife with imageries of violence.”
I feel that Waka Waka is the perfect cheering-on song!

I agree with Hindustan Times that those upset that FIFA officials got a Latin American artist instead of a South African would do well to remember that the World Cup is an international celebration. All that counts is whether football-friendly feet are being shaken. As far as Shakira goes, her infectious Waka Waka totally works.

Tell me what your opinion is about Shakira singing for the World Cup in the comments below ~ And thank you Ann for sharing!

, , , , ,

57 Responses to “Shakira ~ Chosen for South African World Cup Anthem”

1. Christine Casey Says:

Wow! What a beautiful and encouraging/motivating song! It has such a fun beat and I find the words to be quite appropriate for the World Cup venue. Thanks for sharing this Linda ;-) Christine

2. pay per view marketing Says:

I’ve been trying to post to your weblog earlier this week and was having some probs. Glad you obtained items sorted out today. Advertising and marketing by way of ppv came just in time, as the PPC area was obtaining overly aggressive. Using nicely believed out strategies and unique landing pages, let’s hope it stays inexpensive to marketers for some time to arrive. Very good blog with some strong information, it is getting so a lot less difficult to come across ppv info on the net nowadays (Gotta like the big G :)

3. honeste Says:

So cool ! It’s good content I like your site.

Honeste,
      I love Shakira video, I have to watch it occasionally just for an uplift!

I have something to show you, I am so excited about iWowWe Video Emails! I am bursting at the seams! You’ve got to take a look at this! iWowWe honestly delivers a lot of bang for the buck! You can start out for free until you see the ease and value in this service. The compensation plan is very lucrative and it is a MUST have for any business! Check it out here: http://lindagraceonline.com/step-in-front-with-iwowwe-video-email/
      Take a look and tell me what you think!

4. honeste Says:

Hi I think good new reviews for you. Thank

5. รายได้เสริม Says:

Hey! I think This single webs so much superior. Them making i of knowledge. It is the Web site that are so much knowledge. I am feel well at came of this websites Thanks a lot and I would stop to visiting this page often thanks.

6. Arnum@DSiXL Says:

I heard/saw Shakira at the World Cup, she was amazing. The Waka Waka is an inspirational song that not only represented the World Cup, but to millions around the world. An old post, but a good one.

Arnum,
      You were at the World Cup?! How awesome that must have been! I’m jealous! I agree Shakira is too fabulous! I had to listen and watch this movie because you reminded me! I can do my weight exercises and complete 3 sets of 10 for three different arm exercises during the song! I need to put it on my desktop for easy access! Thanks for the reminder!
      ps. Tell me how your online marketing is going~

7. BMI Calculator Says:

8. BMI Calculator Says:

The Waka Waka is an inspirational song that not only represented the World Cup

9. BMI Calculator Says:

The Waka Waka is an inspirational song that not only represented the World Cup,

10. locksmithinphiladelphia sue Says:

When I heard and saw this song being performed it was so moving, I still play it now just as a reminder.

11. Car Payment Calculator Says:

Car Payment Calculator recently posted..Why Use a Car Payment CalculatorMy Profile

12. Jet@Every Other Day Diet Review Says:

Love to see Shakira again at the 2014 World Cup to be held at Brazil.

13. Virginia Devine Says:

Ever since Shakira sang this song, it already become a hit in all countries because of the message it brings, giving encouragement to the Africans, believing that they could win the world cup. Plus the melody and the powerful voice of Shakira. Thanks for sharing the video to us.

Virginia Devine
    Virginia Devine recently posted..Dermagist Promotional CodeMy Profile

14. Rick@Combat the Fat Review Says:

“This Time for Africa” proved to be the best song for the 2010 World Cup. Love to see Shakira again in the 2014 World Cup at Brazil.

15. Ian Jones Says:

I have to agree that Shakira has been a great choice for the World Cup Anthem. At the time, it may have been viewed as something of a controversial decision but it has definitely proved to be the right one. It’s unusual for a World Cup Anthem to become so popular in its own right and enjoy the longevity that this song has. Virginia’s right that it was hugely popular in all countries; I was travelling in summer 2011 and the song seemed to be on repeat in every country I visited- definitely a marker of its success! I think the key for a successful anthem is memorability and Shakira’s song is nothing if not catchy!
    Ian Jones recently posted..Revealed: England’s Cricket SecretsMy Profile

Ian,
      I’m glad you left this comment! I didn’t realize that this song is popular all countries~ It is a motivating fun song! I have to listen to it every time I find myself on this page!

16. sarah@buy hcg drops Says:

I have to agree with Ian. Shakira is really popular worldwide and the fact that her song was chosen for the world cup anthem (although I hadnt realised that)is not surprising.

You just cannot beat the groove and her songs are invariably ones that you start to tap your foot to. I go to a zumba class and 2 of her songs are really popular with the class, so much so, they actually get requested if they havent been on after half an hour or so.
    sarah@buy hcg drops recently posted..Buy HCG Drops: Read This First Before You Buy HCG DropsMy Profile

17. Boris Says:

Personally, I consider Shakira is the right singer for this World Cup. Besides her talent, she has good sense of ethnic music which is appropriate for the Waka Waka song. It can be perceived that she combines nice pronunciation and impressive dancing.
    Boris recently posted..Portable Metal DetectorMy Profile

18. Amanda Says:

I must admit I didn’t know what “waka waka” meant until I read this post. I am guilty of thinking it was just a bit of nonsense. I feel a bit of an idiot now.

How up-lifting the lyrics actually are, just goes to show you should never read a book by it’s cover!!
    Amanda recently posted..Does The African Mango Diet Work? Don’t Be Scammed Read This FirstMy Profile

19. Tim@Boise Property Management Says:

Shakira truly is an international inspiration and I think a great choice for this song. Although before hearing it the only Waka-Waka that I knew of was “Animal” from the Muppets, lol.
    Thanks for the post.
    Tim@Boise Property Management recently posted..Coming Soon South NampaMy Profile

20. Jacob@Credit Card Payment Says:

Great post and great video as well. Since Shakira performed this kind of track, that previously be a strike in most nations around the world as a result of message it brings, providing reassurance to the Africans, assuming they could win the world cup. In addition to the tune and also the potent words regarding Shakira.

Jacob,
      Whenever I see someone has commented on Shakira I have to watch and listen! (I’m listening on my laptop while I reply on my desk top!) The message is so awesome!

21. Anthony@Mold Removal Says:

That single piece “It’s time for Africa” Sung by Shakira brings a big difference to all Africans, the lyrics brought a simple message about Africa and it is very inspiring. I love it!

22. Aba Says:

I don’t mind that Shakira was given the opening song for the World Cup, it just shouldn’t have been Waka Waka. As an African I find that deeply offensive.

Yes, all of you are right. This is a great song but not because of the English lyrics that have been quoted in the article or because of Shakira’s powerful voice. Maybe most of you don’t know but Shakira’s version of this song isn’t the original one. It was first written and sung by a Cameroonian group (Golden Sounds) in the 1980s in a language called Fang and it was called Zangalewa.

I would strongly encourage you not to believe everything your told and to do a little google research on this which will open your minds. This is a song that was used as a freedom song in Africa and now a Colombian has used it to giver her career a huge push.

It’s very disappointing that a wonderful song written within a difficult context in Africa’s history has been turned into a commercial song by a non-African. Shakira’s music video doesn’t reflect the true meaning and has turned it into pretty girls shaking their hips which completely misses the spirit of the song. Very disappointing.

You can check out the originals on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAyFgNwDsv4&feature=related or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHV7gmT5m8I

Aba,
      Thank you for this education!!!! I am so glad you shared your thoughts about this and a link to the video telling the truth! I love Shakira’s song because it has such meaning that I can relate with. To me it’s a message that I personally identify with because I regularly fall down in life, living with Multiple Sclerosis. I can see how you would take offense with a hip-shaking pretty girl who is not singing as the song was intended. It goes back to in the information age, simply doing the research, it’s all online! We just can’t believe everything we read!

23. Exercise on Abs Says:

Shakira is the greatest ! I just love her! Always listening her at my gym..
    waka waka :)
    Exercise on Abs recently posted..What Are The Good Abs Exercises For Good Abs?My Profile

24. acrylic nails Says:

They had the good choice for choosing shakira. Why? because not just the adults who can sing with her but, all ages like kids.
    acrylic nails recently posted..How To Remove Acrylic NailsMy Profile

25. Philadelphia transporter keys Alex Says:

If not her then who ?
    Her song is really great and and giving the taste of football in a song,
    Great article, Thank you .
    Alex.

26. Ingo@German SEO Says:

I loved the world cup (even if Germany didn’t win this time) and I think Shakira did a great job with her song for the world cup. It was just a very fun song that helped to make the cup such a great experience.
    Ingo@German SEO recently posted..German SEO ServicesMy Profile

27. juanez Says:

Thanks for this interesting info. That’s a good article about Shakira ~ I remember seeing this on during the world cup, great memories….

28. Jedda Says:

Looking back on it, she actually did do a really good job in my opinion.
    Jedda recently posted..Trilastin SR Reviews: What Results Are Others Getting Right Now?My Profile

29. psychoterapia kraków Says:

30. Quick Trim Says:

What great memories and isn’t Shakira still looking great!. Thanks for sharing “This time for Africa” it is fun but at the same time heart warming.
    Quick Trim recently posted..What You Can Learn From the Quick Trim ReviewsMy Profile

31. William Hazel Says:

I think it was a reasonable choice. The song is very good, and the african elements make it even better. Shakira is the best :)

32. John Says:

She sure deserves it. At first I thought she was too much loud for any good music or unfitting diva for a ballad but then I realized there’s more to her than being the artist and person she seems. Way to go Shakira!

33. Rosetta@leadership quotes Says:

I agree :-) you should post more often great read, also like the design of the webpage.
    Rosetta@leadership quotes recently posted..leadership quotesMy Profile

34. Val Dika@Singing Exercises Says:

While I’m not big fan of Shakira, this is one of those catchy songs that you can’t get out of your head for a couple of days. Nice to hear native African motives in the background, always liked “folky” flavor added to the great songs.
    Val Dika@Singing Exercises recently posted..Improve Your Vocals by Using Singing ExercisesMy Profile

35. Elizabeth@CNA Training Online Says:

Shakira is such a very wonderful artist with a big heart who concern about those less fortunate Africans, the song “This time for Africa”, it’s message brings hope to all Africans. I hope that many rich people will open their hearts to help this people.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. SHOP ELECTRONICS!!! says:

**YOUTUBE VIDEO REVIEWS ON THE HOTTEST ELECTRONICS OUT**…

#1 SITE FOR THE LATEST REVIEWS ON THE HOTTEST TECHNOLOGY HITTING THE MAINSTREAM!…

2. Cycle for Charity…

[…]lance armstrong\u0027s girlfriend is part of[…]…