Building Self-Esteem is FUN!

Sun, May 30, 2010

Parenting is hard, but does it all have to be work? NO! With a positive attitude and a little imagination, there are plenty of fun things that can help boost your child’s self-esteem. Here’s just a small list to get your creative juices flowing.

1. Sing loving songs to your child.
2. Sit with your baby or young child on your lap with a mirror in your hand. Allow them to see themselves with you and the love you have for them.
3. Carve out special time just for your child and give them your full attention.
4. Ask your child’s opinion.
5. Ask them to “teach” you something they know.
6. Play.
7. Address them by name.
8. Recognize a special talent and encourage them in it.
9. Set aside a WALL OF FAME in your house to showcase your children’s accomplishments.
10. Plant a garden.
11. Allow your child to be part of the vacation planning.
12. Cook together.

Here is a fun cooking activity we can do with our children. Just like many of you, my sister-in-law, Michelle, made free-hand pancake shapes with her kids - one day she saw the vision and created oven-safe Food Shapers!  Now Shape-It’s offers a one-of-a-kind product called The Play With Your Food Kit! All are designed to make playing with your food a mother-sanctioned and memorable family tradition!

Shape-Its food forms are manufactured from an aircraft aluminum alloy that has been specially processed to provide years of durable use with out losing it’s shape. These forms work great for shaping any kind of shapeable food (i.e. pancakes, cakes, cookies, gelatin, ice cream, marshmallows treats, brownies and more.) Each form is easy to clean, dishwasher safe, oven safe to 350 degrees and will not rust. All Shape-Its forms are equipped with folding handles to make storing easy.

Shape-It’s has a wide variety of kits that contain 2-3 Shape-It’s food forms, 2 decorating gels, 2 decorating sprinkles and 4 food-safe markers that come in a clear, re-usable vinyl bag for just $16.99.

Shape-It’s also offers Single Food Forms that kids will love; Animals, Dinosaurs, Holidays, Sea Creatures, Trucks, Trains and Airplanes for only $5.99 or $6.99 each.  Place an Order Here.

Michelle has given wonderful suggestions of creative ways to make the cooking experience fun for everyone!

With a little imagination, the above list will grow and grow. Sometimes the best thing you can do for your child’s self-esteem is to just spend time. Time in a busy world speaks volumes.

Tell me how you have fun with your children and boosted their self esteem in the process~

In bringing up children, spend on them half as much money and twice as much time.

, , , , ,

34 Responses to “Building Self-Esteem is FUN!”

1. Nelson Says:

What a fun idea. In my day, finger food was that which we could throw across the table at my brothers without getting caught. I like this better cause when we got caught playing with our food we got the %#@^ beat out of us. Great post Linda.
    .-= Nelson´s last blog ..“Top Cat Club” =-.

2. Val Wilcox Says:

What a great idea that brings family together in the venture of fixing a meal. Fun for the kids and adults alike! My granddaughters have fond memories of baking cookies with me. Hope they never forget the fun we have doing it. They already have ritual items they add to the mix! L(

Thanks for the great memory in the making,
    Val ;)
    .-= Val Wilcox´s last blog ..What You Think of Me is None of My Business =-.

Of course they’ll never forget! These are the memories kids take with them all of their lives! Isn’t it fun watching them get together as adults and tell stories about their past!

3. Beth@Perfectionism, Beth's Scale of Success Says:

Hey Linda lovely post today,

My best times are with my daughter and my aim is to make her a strong, confident women who never lets go of her dreams.

Being a parent is great,
    Beth :)
    .-= Beth@Perfectionism, Beth’s Scale of Success´s last blog ..Becoming a Senior Utopian =-.

Hey Beth! I know that you are an awesome mother, totally focused on blessing your daughter! I’m happy for you both and I’m excited to read your latest post!

4. Darlene Davis Says:

Linda,
    There is no better time spent than quality time with your kids. I’ll have to save the Single Food Forms for grandchildren (hope, hope), because my kids are beyond that stage. But playing a quarter game with my son across the table, or cooking a pie with my daughter is a time I anticipate and can never get enough of!
    .-= Darlene Davis´s last blog ..Memorial Day Musing =-.

5. Edward Says:

Great tips on how to spend quality time and grow a great relationship with you children. I think cooking is a great way to connect the whole family. I enjoy doing that with mine.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Make it a great day!
    God Bless,
    -ed
    .-= Edward´s last blog ..The DREAM Project Begins =-.

6. Roger@Forbrukslån Says:

This was a great post! I keep seing parents not taking care of their kids, to be quite frank, with the kid ending up not feeling loved, with bad self esteem, having a hard time talking to other kids etc. The parents I`m talking about should really have a look at these tips! I`ll sure have them in the back of my head if/when I become a parent. :)

7. Lazaro Says:

Thanks for the tips to build good relationship between parents and children. I have performed some of your tips. I’m looking forward to seeing another article on how to make children discipline. Sometimes I don’t know how to do to have my son do his homework, for example.
    Lazaro recently posted..Tunturi Cross TrainerMy Profile

Lazaro~
      Lazaro~
      I have to say the BEST training for parenting is found here: http://www.loveandlogic.com/ I have successfully raised 8 children on love and logic parenting. When I first started blogging I hadn’t decided on a niche. I have had a wonderful life with my kids because of the skills I learned with “love and logic”. I wanted to write all I learned, then I realized I was writing the book all over again! That’s plagerism, so I decided I’d be an affiliate marketer, unfortunately they don’t take affiliates!! So I just need to tell you, go to the website, find the first book (the CDs are great) and learn how to be a successful parent! (I had to call them when I was ordering them for my kids because there is sooooo many choices now, I just wanted their first book)
      Hey ~ why don’t you get a gravatar? I’ll show you how here http://lindagraceonline.com/get-the-focus-on-you/ then leave another comment and let me see!

8. Graham Says:

For me the kids are little angels that give color to our lives. Not easy to confront children with all their behavior. But, how happy we are if it can make children smile and be happy for us.
    Building self-esteem for a child we had been doing since they were small. Well, light things such as reading a bedtime story can certainly provide a separate lesson for our children.

9. Karen@Win Back Love Says:

Children can only be a few months old when you can sctually start to teach them sign language – look for classes locally. This is great fun and a super confidence builder. It also helps reduce frustration. See them ask for milk before they can even talk! (The sign is like “milking a cow”!)
    Karen@Win Back Love recently posted..Saving A RelationshipMy Profile

10. Kathrine@every other day diet review Says:

Just stopping by to say and hi and congratulate on this very nice post. I can totally relate with all these things. I was pregnant with my first child when I was 16 and never knew anything about parenting, but I’m glad my daughter grew up to be a successful person she is now.

Kathrine
    Kathrine@every other day diet review recently posted..Blueair Air PurifierMy Profile

Katherine,
      It must have been difficult with a child when you were so young. You obviously have done things right for her to grow up as a successful person. Of course having said that, you can’t take responsibility for any bad choices that she makes! Just enjoy the good and let go of the bad!

11. Ian Jones Says:

Karen, I really like your idea about teaching children sign language and think that this could work very well to build their self esteem. I have always held the belief that children take the most confidence from abilities that set them apart from others. Unique capabilities are what set people apart and provide them with an identity that they can be taken pride in. What’s more, sign language is an incredibly useful acquisition and those who learn it can take confidence from this fact. It can also be taught to others and there are few better ways to build self esteem than through education. When people feel as if they are able to give something back to the community and make a valid contribution they often possess a higher degree of self worth than those who do not. Thanks for the ideas here!
    Ian Jones recently posted..Double Edged Fat Loss 2.0My Profile

12. Linda Grace Says:

Hey Ian!
    It’s fun to see the interaction between the commenters on my blog! I need to ask my daughters to write a post about their experiences with signing!
    Linda Grace recently posted..For Goodness Sake Get a Gravatar!My Profile

• Ian Jones Says:

Please do- I’m sure it would make for some interesting reading. It seems like more young people than adults are learning sign language so it would be great to hear their views. It’s probably the best time of life to take it up- young brains are generally more susceptible to learning languages and I’m sure that signing would prove no exception. It’s definitely a trend I’d like to see continue and should certainly be actively promoted.
      Ian Jones recently posted..Double Edged Fat Loss 2.0My Profile

13. Lee@self esteem kids Says:

Great post, the ask them to teach you something is a great tip and really fun if you let yourself go and have fun with it.

14. Bencage Says:

Next time you come up against a risk or a challenge, listen to what you tell yourself and look for a way that that inner dialog can be improved. Ask yourself, “What would make this easier?”
    Bencage recently posted..Toddler CostumesMy Profile

15. Bob Miller Says:

In my studies, I’ve come to realize that asking kids to teach you things once they pass a certain age is not a good idea. It actually has opposite effects to what popular belief is. I just thought I’d share this information with all of you.

Bob,
      I appreciate people who are courageous enough to disagree! I don’t understand. When have you found that kids teaching is a negative thing? I say that and then I think of my adopted daughter who is a FAS kid and she is very obnoxious because she “knows it all.’ So I guess I do understand, there are times that you’re right!

16. Colin Says:

12 wonderful suggestions and ideas! Who knows, you might have a Junior Master Chef in the making!

Colin
    Thousand Oaks Property Manager

Colin,
      I just wish one of my kids would cook every meal for me! Of course then I’d like a doctor, physical therapist, massage therapist, you know, everything I need!

17. Sally Says:

It’s so true. When I was younger, my mother used to sing to me all the time. I’m now a part time songwriter and I believe I owe that entirely to my Mom.
    Sally recently posted..Does Trilastin Work Or Is The Hype Worth Nothing?My Profile

18. Patricia White Says:

#8 and #9 should be done in a way that no one exceeds than the other and no favoritism is shown because it might lower the other child’s self-esteem instead of building it.

Patricia White

Patricia,
      I appreciate you taking the time to write a comment and have courage to disagree! I have to say that I don’t agree with your disagreement but other visitors might! All of us have talents and gifts! I have 8 children and they all are wonderful at something! I like to celebrate their success with them! All of them have grown up to be happy adults feeling good about themselves!

19. family care foundation FCF Says:

Thanks you for sharing these steps to make self-esteem Fun! I really enjoy reading it.

20. Mason Says:

It sure is the best and amazing feeling in the world, to become a parent. Times would be rough, rugged and hard making you feel like giving up but with just one smile and a hug makes the worries all go away.